Namo amitabha Buddhaya, y'all.
This here's a religious establishment. Act respectable.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Okay, that's it. I abdicate.

Playing on the iPod: "December" by the Waterboys
Meters swum today: 1700

Sorry, gang, but I just can't do it anymore. I've tried, in the face of considerable pressure, but alas, it's not to be. Someone new and better has come along and there's nothing I can do about it but go with the flow. I'm taking off my crown right now, as we speak.

Yep, that's right: I am no longer the Queen of Snark.

My dethronement was brought about by this guy: The Cranky Flier. Get right over there and read a few paragraphs and you'll see what I mean. I may be snarky, but there's no way I can outsnark this guy. Here's a couple of examples:

"If you haven’t heard, there’s been a steel cage match in Washington lately. In one corner, we have Rep Oberstar breathing fire and brimstone. In another corner, we have the FAA trying to pick up the pieces, and in a third corner we have Southwest claiming ignorance. In the fourth corner? Um, uh, Congressional pages? I don’t know. Let’s just say it’s a triangular cage."

"A friend of mine who frequently flies out of London/Heathrow wrote to me recently and wondered why my coverage had been so light on the new Terminal 5. I was just waiting to see when things calmed down. I mean, everyone has been talking about how horrible the problems have been since it opened, and I didn’t think I had much to add."

"I guess they didn’t want to shock travelers by having a baggage system that actually worked right away. That would have been too big of a change from the previous setup, so they must be easing people into it."

Now, there are those of you who might say that I should hold onto my crown because this guy is, after all, being snarky about the airline industry. The airline industry is a cheap and easy target for snark. Buddhism, on the other hand--that's a lot harder. How do you snark about happiness, freedom, joy and peace for all beings? Even if all beings include Dick Cheney, that's not easy to do. But I'm still stepping down. Sometimes ruling a country is hard work.






No comments: