Namo amitabha Buddhaya, y'all.
This here's a religious establishment. Act respectable.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Big Case Update

Playing on the iPod: The soothing hum of, uh, the heater. It's cold here.
Meters swum today: 1400

In case anybody's wondering what happened to the big courtroom showdown between the Noble Building Owners, the Valiant Tenants, the Innocent Co- Defendants and the Evil Roof Builders (that would be us), we got postponed until April in a flurry of pretrial shenanigans that would not be out of place on an episode of The Practice. Obviously I can't get into the details but it involved a surprise witness, some differential calculus, many hours of interesting videotape and a rather annoyed judge who really wanted to see this thing the hell over and done with. One can only wait with bated breath for the next chapter to unfold.

What This Means For Me is, I have a little more time to get everything done. Yay! Of course, I also have to go back to all the other work I wasn't doing because of the Big Case. So it's been a little wild around the old office lately. One thing that's loomed like a shadow on the sun is the possibility that now, after the shenanigans and shouting died down, cooler heads might actually prevail. In short, there's a fond, faint hope of settlement. Not that I have any control whatsoever over this but I can't decide if I want it to settle or not. On the one hand, I have lots and lots of other work I could be doing, much of it more interesting. On the other hand, I did buy a new dress. (Yes, I did say dress. I show up in the silly things for exactly two reasons; trial and job interviews.)

So while that's churning along toward whatever conclusion fate will have, I've been able to get some writing done. No, really. And I'm about to boldly go where no Jenster has gone before; the strange and foreign land of self-publishing. I've been to many strange places in my sordid literary history (no, really, I do have one), but that's one place I have never ventured. So we'll see how it goes. Check back here in about a week and hopefully we'll have rolled the thing out.

Meantime, Joan has just made a Schadenfreude pie. Y'all will need to excuse me while I go check it out.

No comments: