Namo amitabha Buddhaya, y'all.
This here's a religious establishment. Act respectable.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

How I Spent My Saturday, by Jen.

Playing in the background: The dishwasher. Nice beat. You can dance to it. I'll give it a seven.
Meters swum today: Zero.

I spent Saturday morning and part of the afternoon at a protest in downtown Dallas with 1200 of my closest friends. The event was part of a string of pro-gay-marriage rallies being held all over the country in protest of California's passage of Proposition 8. That's me on the left with my hastily-painted sign (actually, it turned out okay) and Joan on the right with the much cooler sign.

Here's a better picture:

I actually didn't want to go to this thing but I'm not sorry I did. The sound system wasn't all that great but there was a lot of yelling and cheering and so on. A couple of counter-demonstrators appeared on the other side of the street with a big ol' wooden cross and a megaphone (why the conservatives always have better sound systems, I can't understand) and we drowned 'em out by saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Really really loud.

Some shots of the crowd:

Here's a link to the Dallas Morning News story about the rally. Yes, they actually covered it, will wonders never cease.




Afterward we dispersed through the plaza in front of City Hall.

No comments: