Namo amitabha Buddhaya, y'all.
This here's a religious establishment. Act respectable.

Friday, July 31, 2009

July Microfundraiser and Swim for Distance Wrap-Up!

Km swum in July, Swim for Distance Month: 41.1

Playing in the back of my head: "Keep On Rocking In the Free World" by Neil Young

Well, folks, July is (almost) over, and it's my best Swim for Distance Month ever! I logged 41.1 km, which is about 25 1/2 miles. I was only aiming for 40, so those of you who pledged some money by the km for the Childrens Medical Center microfundraiser, relax. I'm not gonna ding ya for the extra k. We'll just call it 40 and you can make your contribution here. If you haven't donated or pledged and you still wish to do so, you can to go to my fundraising page and toss some nominal amount into the basket. So far we have $78 and I know some of the pledges aren't in yet so it's looking pretty good! I'm pleased, anyway, and I'm sure the hospital will be, too. It is not easy to raise money in this economy. It'd be easier if I had a job with a nice law firm that wants to look good by contributing to local charities, but, you know, one thing at a time and all that.

Speaking of which, I have a second interview today and two possible document review projects about to start. So no matter what happens, it looks like I'll be working. We like working. Working is good. I'll keep you posted.

Next up in the great Swim-A-Thon, the Lake Travis Relays. It's in Austin in early October. I really wanted to do the Maui Channel Swim this year, but Maui being in, uh, Hawaii and me being unemployed, that's kind of not going to happen. Austin, though, is doable. Plus, I can take Joan, and she can hang around in Weirdsville while I'm getting wet with the gang.

Now, considering I can get sunburned walking to my car, I'm thinking three or four hours on a Texas lake might be beyond the capacity of even most sunscreens. (I've also gotten sunburned on all of my open water swims to date, though I just got a little pink at the Texas Tough race. And all of those were with heavy sunscreen.) So here's what I want: A burqini.

Is this not the coolest thing ever? It's a swimsuit designed by a Muslim woman to provide modest coverage during competitive or recreational swimming. And, okay, I'm not a Muslim but an outfit like this makes a LOT of sense for us pale folk. It's light, won't drag, and really is meant to be a competitive swimsuit. It comes in colors other than black, too, which is good because it's HOT in Texas in October. I'm not sure where I'm gonna get $200 Australian ($165 US) but the Lord will provide, I guess (says the Buddhist who wants the Muslim swimwear.)

Hey, I got a fan letter from a reader of No Accounting For Reality!! Thanks, Sharon of Frankfort, Kentucky! The paperback will be out shortly here and I'll be able to send you a copy in a few weeks. Still haggling with Lulu trying to get the price down to about $10. I may have to crack and make it $11.

No comments: