Namo amitabha Buddhaya, y'all.
This here's a religious establishment. Act respectable.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Cheap Plug for David Moody

Why have a blog if you can't spout off about your favorite writers, am I right? This came out of a discussion at AbsoluteWrite.com, but I won't get into that. This is the best horror writer you've never heard of: David Moody.

I just saw I Am Legend. Twice. In one day. It's frickin' awesome. Okay, it gets kind of corny toward the end but who the hell cares? Deer hunting in New York City in a sportscar with a shotgun!! Need I say more? Well, Will Smith is in it. That's more. Anyway, this got me to thinking about how the "plague wipes out most of humanity and one guy tries to survive while fighting off monsters" thing has been done a few times. The Stand, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Comet, etc. etc. No two writers ever do it the same way, but it's still an amazing concept. But, as I've said a few times, a concept is not a story. Tell a good story and you can use any concept you want.

Back to David Moody. Mr. Moody wrote the Autumn series, available for download at his Web site above. I think the first ep is free. Read them in order, because one thing begets another begets another. What are they about? Well, about the "plague that wipes out humanity," of course. Everyone you've ever known is suddenly dead. And then things get much worse.

Seriously, check out Mr. Moody. Tell 'em Aunt Jen sent ya.

No comments: