Namo amitabha Buddhaya, y'all.
This here's a religious establishment. Act respectable.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Gallifrey Wrap-Up

Playing on the iPod: "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by David Sylvian
Meters swum today: 1600

I'm back in Dallas. Joan stayed an extra day at the Con and she'll be back today. We've already pre-registered for next year. (Heck, it was only $40 a head, why not?) I gotta say, as someone who's never been to a sci-fi con, it was a nice experience. I didn't even have time to get bored. If you haven't seen the splendid movie Galaxy Quest, there's a scene where four actual aliens walk into a sci-fi con and aren't even noticed among the wildly costumed revelers. That's pretty accurate. Favorite parts: Talking to Sylvester McCoy, the episode commentaries, the amazing art in the fan gallery, the general atmosphere. Least favorite parts: Really cool goings-on at 11 pm (I am not a night person) and the hotel prices, not for rooms but for meals and so on. Course, we were in L.A., and everything's more expensive in California, but I ran into sticker shock on an hourly basis. $4.95 for a venti cinnamon dolce latte?! I mean, what is the world coming to?

Anyway, the flight back was good (it's a good flight if I fall asleep shortly after takeoff and don't wake up until the rear wheels hit the ground) and no suitcases were lost. I got home in one piece (I can see my office building from the freeway!) and even got to the pool this morning, albeit a little bit late. Sparrow the cat curled up on my lap, so I think I'm forgiven for bailing on her for the past three days. Course I haven't yet checked all my shoes.

No comments: